We invite you to join the Black Heritage Society of Washington State, where the focus for nearly 40 years has been and continues to be the preservation of the rich history and contributions of African Americans in the State of Washington. The collections, exhibits, and educational programs that BHS offers reflect the State’s rich history. Organized in 1977 and incorporated in 1982, the Black Heritage Society of Washington State, Inc., is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, and exhibition of materials relating to the history and culture of African Americans.
As a member of the Black Heritage Society you are a keeper of Washington State history. Every membership supports the preservation of historical records that documents the lives, stories and heritage of Black people whose legacy contributes to the vitality of Washington State.
Members are extended these alignments and opportunities:
- An experienced board that is dedicated to the mission of the Society
- A quarterly newsletter highlighting the goals and progress of the Society
- Quarterly members meetings hosted January, May and October
- Member invitation to attend special events and programs
- Volunteer opportunities for speaking, presenting and exhibiting during events throughout the year
- Opportunity to Chair a standing Committee
- Donate your family’s historical documents/photos/memorabilia and participate in oral history projects
The membership categories are:
|Youth||$ 10.00 (under 18)|
(Please contact the President for details on corporate sponsorship and membership).
Membership in the Black Heritage Society is a material way that you can support the work of the society and receive all the benefits of membership. Your support of our work is important to the historical society and indicates community support to other funding sources. The membership year, with the exception of Life Membership, is July 1 through June 30.
BECOME A MEMBER
If you would like to become a member of the Black Heritage Society of Washington State please:
- Download our Membership Form (pdf format)
- Print a copy of the form
- Mail a completed copy along with your check made payable to: “Black Heritage Society of Washington State or BHS”,
The Black Heritage Society of Washington State, Inc.
P.O. Box 22961
Seattle, WA 98122-0961
You may also pay by credit card via the PayPal. Our fiscal year is July 1 – June 30. Those joining in May shall have their membership valid through June 30, 2017. We look forward to welcoming you as a member.