We invite you to join the Black Heritage Society of Washington State, where the focus is preservation of the rich history and contributions of African Americans in the State of Washington. The collections, exhibits, and educational programs that BHS offers reflect the State’s rich history. Organized in 1977 and incorporated in 1982, the Black Heritage Society of Washington State, Inc., is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, and exhibition of materials relating to the history and culture of African Americans. BHS is an advocate for preserving African American heritage sites statewide.
As a member of the Black Heritage Society you are a keeper of Washington State history. Every membership supports the preservation of historical records that documents the lives, stories and heritage of Black people whose legacy contributes to the vitality of Washington State.
Members are extended these alignments and opportunities:
- An experienced board that is dedicated to the mission of the Society
- Monthly Enews with organization updates and highlights
- Quarterly members meetings hosted January, May and October
*BHS hopes to resume in-person meetings May 2022 (2020 and 2021 hiatus)
- Member invitation to attend special events and programs
- Volunteer opportunities for speaking, presenting and exhibiting during events throughout the year
- Opportunity to Chair a standing Committee
- Donate your family’s historical documents/photos/memorabilia and participate in oral history projects
The membership categories are:
|Youth||$ 10.00 (under 18)|
(Please contact the President for details on corporate sponsorship and membership).
Membership in the Black Heritage Society is a material way that you can support the work of the society and receive all the benefits of membership. Your support of our work is important to the historical society and indicates community support to other funding sources. The membership year, with the exception of Life Membership is January 1 through December 31.
BECOME A MEMBER
If you would like to become a member of the Black Heritage Society of Washington State please:
- BHS Membership Form_blank_printable (Download pdf)
- Print a copy of the form
- Mail a completed copy along with your check made payable to: Black Heritage Society of Washington State or BHS
The Black Heritage Society of Washington State, Inc.
P.O. Box 22961
Seattle, WA 98122
You may also pay by credit card via the PayPal link on the BHS Home page.
Annual Membership is January 1 – December 31.
We look forward to welcoming you as a member. Become a History Keeper today!